This week in The SituAsian Room, Emilie and Zach “Dish It Out” with more Asian cuisines from their cultures, talk about ICE’s new regulations* to international student visas and sit down with Hanson Zhang in the SituAsian Room to discuss Chinese International Students studying abroad in countries like the United States. Together, they talk about the experiences that Chinese students have while studying in America, including adapting to new environments, fitting in with their American peers, and mixing their cultures from home with school.
*ICE rescinded their policy for F-1 Visa holders on July 14, 2020
On This Episode:
Hello and welcome back to the SituAsian Room! For this episode, Emilie and Zach start us off with some foodie talks at the “Dish It Out” table, and then meet with special guest, Hanson Zhang, to discuss the topic of Chinese international students studying abroad in the United States. Hanson, who is an international student from Beijing studying at the University of Miami, shares his experiences and discusses what being an international student is really like.
Key Topics of the Episode:
- Dish It Out – Foodie Segment!
- Topic Introduction – Chinese International Students in the U.S. with Hanson Zhang
- Experiences of International Students from China
- Tom Cotton Bill
- Chinese Students Studying Abroad
- New School, New Names?
- Mental Health Among Asian Americans
Resources Mentioned, Suggested Readings, Social Media Handles:
- Tom Cotton Bill
- Article about Tom Cotton Bill
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Institute of International Education
- Statistica trends in Chinese International Students
- Why Chinese Students Study Abroad
- Professor Who Asked Student to ‘Anglicize’ Her Name Is Put on Leave – NY Times
- Mental Health Among Asian Americans – APA.org
- Hanson Zhang’s Instagram: @hansonzhang8
Connect with Us:
- Thank you so much for tuning in to this episode of The SituAsian Room! Make sure you guys follow us on social media and stay up to date on all of our upcoming episodes:
- Since you’re already on our website…check out our blog! As we continue to release episodes, we also post content on our blog that talks more about the topic we discuss in the SituAsian Room!
Each week, the World’s Finest Show returns from the fringes of popular culture for a round table discussion on comics, movies, video games, and tech.